A group of us went on a long walk this morning passing through the Old City and then outside the walls into East Jerusalem (Arab shops and neighborhoods) - Here's a few pics:
Walking down the hill from our campus toward the Jaffa Gate
Inside the Old City, in the Christian Quarter - we ran into this roadblock...a Greek Orthodox procession and ceremony. Wall to wall people, lots of priests, lots of singing. They were carrying sprigs of basil, and the air was so fragrant with that spice!
Here's a Greek Orthodox priest carrying his basil...the celebration had something to do with Mary.
Finally got through the crowd...but all the décor and flags you see hanging up is part of this Greek Orthodox celebration and procession.
On a side back street, avoiding the crowds, working our way toward the Damascus Gate
Approaching the Damascus Gate Exit, one of the main thoroughfares in and out of the city..,
Fresh figs anyone?? I had never had a fresh fig until a couple days ago (I've only had dried ones) - and it was very delicious!! Better than the dried kind...
Looking up at the height of the Damascus Gate as we are exiting..
Some gardens we saw outside the American Colony Hotel
Students looking up at the store signs, standing outside an Arab bookstore...
This is the only store we actually went into on our walk...they sold candy, but I was drawn to the spices...smells verrrry strong and fragrant in there!!
Nuts, nuts and more nuts..who wants some nuts??
I love the colors of these spices, sort of earthy, curry, pungent, schwarma-delicious smelling:)
There's no doubt what this spice is for!! And remember, I LOVE Falafels:), so I went over to this pile and inhaled deeply :0
This Arab woman is deciding what spice she needs to make dinner for her family...
On our way back...passing by Herod's gate - one of the seven gates that allows entrance into the Old City
Herod's Gate
Passing through inside the Old City - passed by this (yucky) meat market...
Streets are busy, crowded today, everyone going somewhere...Remember the sights, remember the smells, quite an experience to be here...
Wow! Great pictures, Cheryl! We could smell the spices and SO want a falafel right now! Glad that you have some leisure time along with your studies!
ReplyDelete