Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Verrry HAZY Jerusalem! Up on the Ramparts...

Everyone in Jerusalem woke up to a thick blanket of haze over Jerusalem. Usually it's bright blue sky, clear and no rains all summer long. And no, it's not smoke or fog or pollution...it's a fine yellow sand, being blown in from Syria (per Shomi Carmel)...it's called a 'khamsin', or a dusty wind.  So this is the day I chose to go up on the ramparts, ie the walls of the Old City. So never let a little yellow dust stop you...I went up on the ramparts, anyway!
 
As I'm walking from school toward the Jaffa gate of the Old City, I took this pic looking across the Hinnom valley. So weird that you can't see across...

Walking along the Old City walls toward Jaffa gate..seems surreal...if you look really hard you can see the tower of David in this photo.

Here I am right beneath the tower of David at the Jaffa gate, and this picture is taken looking DIRECTLY into the sun (the bright spot you see)...that's how hazy it is.

Up on the ramparts...there's that tower of David again:) The guy with the hat is named Albert...he's from Holland. Every morning he takes a group of people on the walls of Jerusalem to declare God's promises and words over the city. We had people from Holland, Germany, the US, and I don't know where else, about 20 of us, all together, an international troupe.

Walking behind Albert...he is declaring scriptures and blessings over the city the whole time he is walking!

Albert on a corner of the wall waiting for the others to catch up. The lady is 'Jutta', a German born woman who lives in Australia...I met her at the house of prayer, she's wonderful.

View outside the wall..it's a Christian cemetery of some type, you can tell by the crosses. Probably Armenian, because we are in the Armenian quarter of the Old City. Verrrrry hazy....

We each took a spot along the wall where there's a place to look out, and we were quite spread out.

Albert, on the end on the right - would holler over scripture passages that we were to read and declare at our respective spots on the wall.

Some cute Jewish schoolboys scampering down the steps of the ramparts...

At the end of our ramparts walk...now situated on top of the Zion gate, Albert still reading scriptures. I really like this man, and I know I'll go back to do it again. He goes up there every single morning except Shabbat!

No comments:

Post a Comment